Monday 5 October 2015

Weekend activities

I haven't been able to post over the weekend - I was away from the seminary, staying in the Augustinian parish of Los Angeles (Our Lady of the Angels) here in Panama City. It was nice to be able to spend some time with the community who are 5 in number - two work in that parish, two work in another one (one of those also works full time for the diocese as the Episcopal Vicar for Pastoral Activities), and the fifth member is a student, studying philosophy here at the seminary.

I also have to apologise for not having any photos up on the blog this time - I left home without my charger for the camera and only this afternoon have I been able to get one out here. It's an interesting thing about Panama, that while its stores are certainly much better stocked than in other South American countries, they still, often, don't have what you are looking for (if it's something specific - like my charger). I hope to begin with photos from tomorrow - watch this space (I still don't know if the charger works!!!).

Life in the Augustinian parish was very busy over the weekend: on Friday they had two funerals. One of these was a mass with the ashes of the deceased present; the other was a mass for someone who had already been buried. Apparently, it is not unusual here to have a funeral mass without the deceased due to the fact that funerals take place very quickly after the death - due to the heat.

On Saturday they had their normal masses and also the celebration of the parish confirmations - 65 young people were confirmed by one of the Auxiliary Bishops. I was very struck to learn that each one of those 65, with their parents had been at all the meetings leading up to confirmation. This is a requirement that is strictly enforced here - it made me think of Ireland where it can be difficult to get the parents to come to even one meeting sometimes.

On Sunday morning I said the 8am mass in the parish of Santa Maria la Antigua (literally, St. Mary, the ancient - or, if you're from Dublin, I suppose it could be St. Mary the oul wan!!!). Our Lady, under this title is the patron of Panama and it is an image that is much revered by the people here. The original image, apparently, was brought by the Spaniards from Europe when Panama was still only a small settlement and has accompanied its inhabitants now for several centuries.

A large congregation (mostly women) were at mass and they were all very willing to participate - singing, dancing during the gloria, contributing during the homily - it was a celebration that uplifted me greatly.

Mass here takes at least an hour - and can take almost two. It all depends on the singing and on the homily. I have heard homilies here that have lasted more than an hour - I have to say that I consider that to be completely over the top but people here seem to be used to it. Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

Anyway, after a very hot and humid day I am off to bed - I have class again tomorrow and also, this week, I am the main celebrant at the 6am mass so I need my beauty sleep.
Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment