Tuesday 10 April 2018

Heat and Air Conditioning

When I arrived on Sunday evening I was met by the usual Panamanian heat which tends to be accompanied by quite a high degree of humidity. I have experienced this before, of course, but I have never really gotten used to it.
Yesterday morning was actually quite fresh by Panamanian standards. The temperature reached 32 degrees by 11am and seemed to be staying there. In the afternoon clouds gathered and there were some spots of rain. This normally means that the temperature will drop by a number of degrees but, unfortunately, that wasn't to be the case yesterday. The rain never materialised and, by 3pm the temperature had gone up to 37 degrees - and humid.
The only way to deal with this sort of heat is to remind yourself to take things slowly. That sounds easier than it actually is. It's hard not to stride out just as you would normally but, if you do, you will soon have to slow down and maybe even stop for a few minutes. The heat very quickly drains you - or at least me - of energy. This only makes it more amazing for me to see the seminarians playing football and basketball in the afternoon sun. They are acclimatised to the weather and have no difficulty running and jumping in the same heat that just wears me out.
I went with Eric, one of the seminarians, as far as the local supermarket yesterday afternoon - a walk of perhaps 15 minutes but, by the time I got there I was absolutely boiling and drenched with sweat. I have heard it said that horses sweat and people perspire - but there is no doubt in my mind but that I was sweating: more than any horse!
The air conditioning in the store was very welcome and provided a welcome respite, even though I knew I would have to do the same again in a few minutes - except this time would be uphill.
I find the air conditioning to be wonderful but all the advice is that it is not good for your health to go from hot to cold and back again. In fact, every year when I have been here I have got chest infections for this very reason. However, it's either use the air conditioning or sleep - I can't do both.
The seminarians don't like, or very even want, air conditioning. In the newly refurbished chapel they have installed air conditioning but, at Mass yesterday and today, it was switched off: I thought I was going to leave a puddle where I was standing. I'm hoping that over the coming weeks I will be better able to put up with the heat.
For the moment, I'm still in transition from 10 degrees in Dublin as I left to 32 degrees here this morning. The forecast for the afternoon is thunderstorms (which are spectacular here) which will hopefully bring the temperature down. In the meantime, I begin teaching today with a three-hour class - in a room with no air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment