Wednesday 15 October 2014

Parish of Los Angeles (Panama City)

Just a short post today.  I have come from the Diocesan Seminary to spend a few days in the Augustinian parish of Los Angeles - no, not California, it is a parish here in Panama City.  There are 6 friars here who take care of two parishes (the other one is close by).  Four of the friars are Panamanian and two are Spanish.  One of the Spaniards will soon be leaving to take up residence with the newly-ordained Augustinian bishop in Colón - he will be the bishop's secretary.  They have known each other for many years and, I suppose, the bishop would like someone he knows well with him as he takes up his new ministry.

This parish seems to be quite centrally situated in the city and it looks like quite a well-off area.  Unfortunately, the house only has 6 rooms which means that there isn't actually a room for me - I will be staying in another house that belongs to the Order which is about 1km away.  This is an empty house which, while it does have some furniture (emphasis on some!!!) it is very basic - makes the Seminary look very well equipped!!!  It reminds me a bit of a building on one of the famous ghost estates - while it is finished it looks like lots of things are missing - it could do with a good sweeping-out for a start.  César, the man who does a lot of work around the parish church and grounds did his best, but, as I say, it could do with a good sweeping.

I'm not too keen on spending the night there on my own but I will have to get used to it because I will be there for four nights in a row.  I imagine that what is not making me enthusiastic is that they have explained to me that there have been many break-ins in that house - people trying to rob electric cable, fittings, and piping.  I'll barricade myself in and if anyone comes I'll make myself sound like I'm more than one - seriously, though, it will be fine; I'm quite used to being in houses on my own.

However, it does mean that it will probably be difficult to have access to internet over the next few days - I will do my best to post each day but it may not always be possible.  I will try to do so when I come to the main house for lunch.

Other than that, today was largely spent driving hither and thither.  In the evening I went for something to eat with Fr. Edwin OSA - a Panamanian friar who was ordained just over a year ago.  He has said that he will bring me to visit something on the tourist trail tomorrow (Thursday).  Friday is the day that the young Colombian pre-novice makes his confirmation so keep him in your prayers.
Hasta Pronto
N

No comments:

Post a Comment