Tuesday 7 October 2014

Lots of Rain... and a Night Out

Today it rained all day - practically.  It must have rained a lot of the night too, because I actually woke up cold for the first time.  I doubt if it really was all that cold but, I suppose, the temperature had dropped quite a bit during the night and due to the rain that it was a lot cooler than it had been yesterday when the temperature climbed very high as the humidity was building - in preparation for the rain.

I recall having remarked that there were not too many ants around the place here.  Well, today I want
to revise that opinion.  When I woke I found several ants on my bed and, when I investigated, there were hordes of them all over the floor.  Either I spilt something and didn't realise it (which I don't think I did) or the very heavy rain may have disturbed them.  Anyway, I had to get some spray to clear them.  South American insect sprays are pretty much of a "kill everything they come into contact with" variety, so it is always advisable to use them sparingly.  Nonetheless, I still found myself a bit chesty after giving the room a quick spray - obviously, I didn't spray the bed, which would absorb the liquid.  I shook out the sheets and pillows.  If I find an ant tonight I'll just have to roll over on top of it or else make friends with it.

I had three hours class in a row this morning with the same students.  It's not really ideal but it is the only way to make sure we will have enough time.  I am not actually able to be here for a full semester so I have to try to fit a semester's course into the time I have which is a little over two months.

This afternoon the students had the semi-final of their basquetbol
tournament which was played with the usual exuberance that they are able to rise to despite the heat.  Probably the most interesting part of it for me was that there was a squirrel on a branch calmly preening itself in full view of everyone.  There was also a vulture eating something on one of the rooves - unfortunately I had no camera with me and when I went to get it (and my phone with newly installed Instagram which my brother tells me will improve the quality of pictures taken with it), it took so long for the condensation to clear that the vulture had eaten his fill and the squirrel had gotten interested in other things.  Better luck next time.  I include a picture of each creature so that you can, at least, see what they look like (pictures are culled from the internet and are not my own).

This evening the formation team in the seminary brought me out for dinner to a very nice restaurant overlooking the sea where we sat under a sort of thatched hut (called Pencas) and ate very delicious seafood.  It was actually lovely to get out for an evening even though I'm sure I'll feel it in the morning when I have to get up for Mass at 6.  Below is a picture of the meal out.
Saludos
N

No comments:

Post a Comment