Monday 1 April 2019

Hot Water

I have already commented here on the importance of having a bin filled with water in the shower at all times, to be ready for the day when the water is cut off. Showering in cold water is normal here. It does take some getting used to but it is also a good way to cool down. Personally, I am convinced that there is nothing like hot water to really clean yourself but, when that option isn't there, cold water is second best.

It can be a bit of a challenge, first thing in the morning, to put yourself under the cold flow of water but, once the body has acclimatised, it's fine. Having had the experience (last year) of the water being cut off almost every weekend, I am grateful that, so far anyway, we have had water all of the time I have been here.

This morning was a first for me - I had hot water in the shower!!! Well, not really hot, but warm water. The tank which supplies the seminary is a large metal one, not unlike the back part of a petrol tanker. Having been exposed to the extreme heat over the last few days the water had heated up considerably. Of course, what helps in this scenario is that most of the seminarians are not here over the weekends - they go to parishes and other places to do pastoral work. This means that the water in the tank isn't consumed, leaving it the opportunity to heat up a bit.

I was obviously one of the first to get up this morning (4.30am) which meant that I had the benefit of the warm water. When I commented on it at the breakfast table the others were surprised, as they had had only cold showers. The early bird catches the warm water!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment