Monday 18 February 2019

Return to Panama 2019

It seems like an absolute age since I was last in Panama, and last writing this blog. In fact, it is a little under a year, but it never ceases to surprise me how much the contrast between my normal day to day life in Limerick and life here strikes me.
This year my journey here was quite a stressful one. Apart from all the usual things associated with travelling, I had a rather nasty surprise awaiting me in Madrid when I went to check in for my flight and was told that there was no seat on the plane for me. I think that this is the sort of thing that many of us would find both frustrating and difficult. Added to the bald announcement that it was unlikely that I would be able to fly was added the fact that the Iberia employee with whom I was dealing (who until then had been very friendly) now refused to even look at me and just waved vaguely in the direction of the departure gates, declaring in a mumbled voice that only the people at the departure gate could possibly offer me any hope.
Anyway, I set out for the departure gate only to discover that it took me almost 40 minutes to get there - Barajas, Madrid's airport, underwent a multi-million euro facelift in recent years which has transformed it from being a rather uncomfortable, low-ceilinged, and dark place, into a high-ceilinged, modern, chaotic mess. At least, with the old airport, it was always easy enough to figure out where you were supposed to be: now, with the new "imporvements", I doubt that even Harry Potter would be able to figure out what doors to go through and what to avoid.
When I eventually arrived at the departure gate the Iberia employee I met was very charming but said that nothing could be done - I would have to wait until everyone else had boarded and then, if there was space, I would be allowed to get on. Eventually, after a long wait, they did let me on and, I can tell you, I was greatly relieved!!!
I had booked through an independent travel website (which I won't name here) which I had normally found to be reliable in the past - now, I'm not so sure.
The flight turned out to be 10 and a half hours long (I had been expecting 9 - I realise it's not much of a difference, but those last 90 minutes really do make it feel much longer.
I arrived, feeling very tired, but at least I got here, and was welcomed by the Rector of Seminario Mayor San José (St Joseph's Major Seminary) where I will be spending the next two months; he was accompanied by a seminarian I taught last year so we had great catching up in the car.
There have been some internet issues so I am only getting going on the blog now, but, for the moment, I'll sign off. Tomorrow I'll share with you some of my impressions of the reactions locally to the recent Papal visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment