Tuesday 7 March 2017

Beginnings

It seems like a very long time since I was last in Panama. In fact, what was to be an annual commitment had to be reshaped as I was asked to take on new responsibilities in Limerick. The development of the Ostia Community and the planned university residence behind the church in Augustinian Lane has meant that one of the adjustments that had to be made was that I would no longer come to Panama in the autumn so that I could be present in Limerick for the first weeks of the academic year in Ireland. This is the reason that roughly 18 months havelapsed since I was last here, in Seminarion Mayor San José, Panama City.

One of the big implications for this change is, of course, that it impacts significantly on the length of time I am able to be here. Easter is such an important time in the life of a Christian community that it is important to me that I would be at home for Easter. From a purely practical point of view, there is no real point in remaining here over the Easter period as the seminarians will have their "mid-term break".

I arrived last Sunday (today is Tuesday). The flight went well even though it is certainly not getting any easier to spend 11 hours on a plane - I don't know how the staff can stick it!!!
The first half of Monday morning was given over to the official opening of the academic year. The events began at 7am with Mass in the seminary chapel - the Archbishop of Panama City (José Domingo Ulloa, an Augustinian) presided at the Mass and was accompanied by the Bishop of Colón, Manuel Ochogavía (also an Augustinian - Colón is the second largest city in the country, second only to the Archdiocese of Panama which includes Panama City).

In his homily the Archbishop challenged all members of the seminary community - Seminarians, Administrative Staff, and Teaching Staff, to settle only for the highest standards and to avoid mediocrity at all costs.
The Mass was followed by a formal "solemn session" which is when everybody is assembled to listen to a series of speeches on various aspects of life in the seminary and about the importance of a type of formation which can give Panama the type of priests it will need in the future.

Once the formalities were over classes began. I had no classes yesterday and was asked to meet the Academic Supervisor later in the day - all very mysterious!!! It turns out that I am no longer to teach Theological Anthropology (which I have spent the last weeks and months preparing) but am now to teach a course on Christology: this course was to begin the following morning!!! I have been here before and I know that flexibility is the order of the day, especially in Latin America where things can change for many reasons without much notice. As the day progressed I got a clearer picture of what is being asked of me: 2 courses in the Seminary (Christology and Eschatology) and also a course on Sacraments for those preparing for the diaconate; I will also be giving a course to the Catechists of the diocese although it's not yet clear what that course will involve - apparently, I will know more tomorrow. I also got the hint that there will be some other things coming up but, so far, I have no idea what that might involve.

All in all it looks like it's going to be a busy time - always the best sort of time!!!
The weather is, of course, very hot. Today, according to my phone, was 34 degrees in the shade, although it certainly felt a lot warmer. Unlike when I was here in the rainy season, so far there has been no downpour to lower the temperature.
The other thing that hasn't changed is the chicken - still very much on the menu at least once a day.
Anyway, it's now almost 8.30pm and I'm heading to bed - the third thing that hasn't changed is the fact that I have to get up at 5am to be ready for Mass at 6 - goodnight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment